Gilbertsville, formerly called Butternuts, was founded in 1787 when abijah gilbert purchased the land from the morris patent. he was soon followed by joseph cox, and betsy nichols in1788, who were wed later that year. the fourth settler was john marsh who brought with him a yoke of oxen used extensively to clear land.
Time passed, and many people contributed to the development of this frontier community. Through physical obstacles, setbacks, and disease, those determined settlers pushed onward. Businesses started, a government was formed, and the village flourished. About 100 years went by and Gilbertsville found itself with a fire department, a Village Improvement Society, and was incorporated the same year the water system was built (1895). Oil lanterns illuminated the town, and telephones were added in 1900.
The accelerated pace of the 20th century brought with it many changes. The availability of the automobile, the extension of the areas road system, the popularity of the radio, and the introduction of electricity, all increased the sophistication and awareness of the villagers.
Present day Gilbertsville continues to preserve and uphold it's past. Many residents of the village are direct descendants of original settlers. The fortitude, perseverance and pride that were so apparent in the past, are still maintained today in it's townspeople.